Saturday, November 7, 2009

Beyond the Veil

As this Samhain passage comes to a close, I'm blown away again by the ways of Spirit.

All day on Halloween, I had this persistent urge to go to the new Michael Jackson film. I wasn't in the mood for costume parties this year. I wanted to see that movie. My clever little mind kept thinking how appropriate it would be to find out what he had to say from the grave, so to speak, on Halloween.

I hadn't been into Michael Jackson in years but was, of course, affected by the death of this icon, this legend. He died the night before my 47th birthday.

I asked a friend if she wanted to go to the movies and she immediately suggested Michael Jackson's This Is It. So it would be.

I'm still integrating all that happened as a result of that journey. In this film, composed of footage from rehearsals for the never-to-be "This Is It" comeback tour, Michael indeed speaks from beyond the grave. It's haunting, and enlightening, and entertaining. There were things that spoke to me personally, and professionally. It was like visiting with my brother. I left the theater inspired.

Michael Jackson left a profound legacy. Whether you liked his style and his music, or not. No matter what you thought of his personal life. Michael Jackson taught a generation to dance. The messages in this film transcend his death to remind us to care for the Earth, to love fully, to make a difference in the world.

After all, this is a man who co-created "We Are the World," assembling some of the greatest talent on Earth, to transmit a message of oneness back in the '80s.

Michael quite clearly references 2012 in the film. In speaking of the need to change our ways and heal the Earth, he says we've got four years to do it. He's right. It's time. This is it.